Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

I'm still working on getting the entire FZ collection, and this past weekend I picked up 'Hot Rat's. Thanks to 'Strictly Commercial' and 'Tinseltown Rebellion' I had already heard the incredible "Peaches en Regalia" but the rest of the record completely blows me away!

The disc starts with "Peaches", one of the best FZ instrumentals as far as I'm concerned, and the album does not let up for one moment. Although "Willie the Pimp" features lyrics it's the instrumentation that steals the show. "Son of Mr. Green Genes" follow... nine minutes of pure jazz/rock genious. "Little Umbrellas" is less rock and more jazz, not too mention less time. Clocking in at just over three minutes, this is the shortest track on the album.

The big piece of the album is the nearly 17 minute epic piece "The Gumbo Variations". I can sum this track up in one word, "WOW"! The highpoints of this track are a saxophone solo and a violin solo that just defy logic. This song alone was worth the $12 I shelled out for the disc. I think that if I had heard this earlier I would have all of Zappa's albums by now.

The album closes out with "It Must Be A Camel". A very traditional jazz piece with some incredible piano and drum work, and a perfect closer for the disc. I can easily see this being on my top 5 favorite Zappa albums list in the future.


NP: Frank Zappa - The Gumbo Variations

No comments: