Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 10 Albums of 2011

With 2011 coming to a close it is time to list my favorite albums of the year. Note I did not say "best albums" as that is a bold statement, and one I can not make for everyone. These are just the albums that ended up being my favorite (Note: I allowed no re-issues, and generally don't allow live albums, but the one live album that did make my list was just too good to pass up.

10 - "Weird Al" Yankovic: Alpocalypse

I've always been a huge Weird Al fan, and I thought that his 2011 return was done in great fashion. While the songs he parodies here fall in my most disliked list, the parodies themselves are winners! How can you lose with songs like "I Perform This Way", "Another Tattoo", "TMZ", and "Party In the CIA". The original tunes are finely crafted gems themselves. Songs like "If That Isn't Love" (a style parody of Hanson, a favorite band of mine) and "Craigslist" (a style parody of the Doors) are among my new favorite Weird Al tunes. Overall, this is a great album, and fine addition to any year end list.

09 - Disturbed: Lost Children

After the upsetting news that Disturbed were calling, at the very least, a prolonged hiatus I was very pleased to learn that an album of B-sides and rarities was being released. Many of these songs I have never heard, but could be lifted off any album by this incredible band. People may say that all of their songs sound the same, but personally I don't hear that. I hear a great band who have a distinct sound and some damned good music.

08 - KoRn: The Path of Totality

This album is not only totally KoRn, but also a completely different sound. Sure the crunch of the KoRn we all know and love is there, but this time around the band employed the help of several "dubstep" artists to craft an album unlike anything the band have ever done. Songs like "Get Up", "My Wall", and "Sanctuary" are among some of the bands best songs. I love this album and am happy to see that KoRn still got it!

07 - Sixx AM: This Is Gonna Hurt

This album has been kicking my ass all year. I loved the bands first album ("The Heroin Diaries"), but this album is much better. The songs have more punch and the delivery is better this time around. The songs "Oh My God", "Smile", "Are You With Me Now", and "Skin" are beautiful pieces of work, while the title track, "Lies of the Beautiful People", and "Live Forever" are classic metal tracks. This is a great album, and one I highly recommend.

06 - Anthrax: Worship Music

2011 saw the return of one of the so called "Big 4", and in a very big way. "Worship Music" may very well be my favorite album in the bands vast back catalog. This album also marks the triumphant return of Joey Belladonna, my personal favorite Anthrax front-man. It is hard to pick just a few favorite tunes from this one, but hard pressed I would go with "Earth On Hell", "Fight 'Em Til You Can't", and a tribute to Ronnie James Dio "In The End" (my new favorite Anthrax song). All in all, this is one that no thrash fan should be without.

05 - Yes: Fly From Here

Finally, a new studio album from progressive rock masters, Yes. Sure Jon Anderson may not be in evidence this time around, but Benoit David makes up for it in spades. This is the album I've been waiting to hear from this amazing band for a very long time. Obvious elements of the 1980 masterpiece "Drama" are in evidence, obvious signs that Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes put their touches on the album. The title track, a six part prog rock tour de force is the definite highlight here, but "Into the Storm" and "Hour of Need" are also personal favorites.

04 - Within Temptation: The Unforgiving

I just discovered this band this year, and by a complete whim. When I saw the disc at the store, something about the album cover intrigued me (plus, the ginger is kinda hot, wink wink). The music contain within has kept me coming back to this album over and over since it came out. Tracks like "Faster", "Iron", "Shot In the Dark", and "Lost" make this album an obvious choice for a 2011 favorites list. This one has also made my top 100 albums of all time list. Great stuff!

03 - Rush: Time Machine, Live In Cleveland

Generally I do not include live albums in my top 10 of any year list, but this time I had to make an exception... kinda figures that Rush would be that exception. Their "Time Machine" tour was nothing short of magical, and this 2 CD live set represents it beautifully. Forgetting that the entire "Moving Pictures" album is played from top to bottom here, the band also broke out a favorite of mine, "Presto", as well as a few other recently ignored gems such as "Stick It Out", "Marathon", and "Time Stand Still". Also of particular note are the two new tracks, from the upcoming "Clockwork Angels" albums, "Caravan", and "BU2B". The coolest thing would be the alterations to "Closer To the Heart", the polkarized "La Villa Strangiato", and the reggae "Working Man".

02 - Dream Theater: A Dramatic Turn of Events

When Mike Portnoy announced his departure from Dream Theater I must admit that I was a little bit worried about where this would take the band. When Mike Mangini was announced as the replacement I was a bit less worried. When I finally heard the album I was floored. This is the best album from Dream Theater since "Octavarium" in my opinion. The songs here are pure progressive metal, and I love every minute of it. From the single, and lead cut, "On the Backs of Angels", to the album closer, "Beneath the Surface", there is not one dull moment here (okay, truth be told the intro for "Bridges In the Sky" gets a bit boring, but I can forgive that). My favorite song here would have to be the killer "Breaking All Illusion", which has everything I'm looking for in a prog song.

01 - Neal Morse: Testimony 2

My number one album of 2011 was a no brainer for me. From the first time I heard Neal Morse's "Testimony 2" I loved it. Such a beautiful story, and such incredible progressive rock music. Once again Mike Portnoy and Randy Geroge join Neal for the ride as we are treated to a lot of new material, a few recurring themes from the first "Testimony" album, and just as much orchestration as the first album. Favorites include "The Truth Will Set You Free", the vocal reunion of Spock's Beard on "Time Changer", and album closer "Crossing Over/Mercy Street Revisited". Also of note is the bonus disc, featuring one of my favorite Neal Morse songs of all time, "Seeds of Gold", a 26 minute progressive rock, epic masterpiece. Neal Morse is my favorite musician of all time, and this is easily one of his best.

Honorable Mentions
Here are few albums that almost made the cut, but missed out because there was so much great music released this year:

Adrenaline Mob: EP (I left this one off only because of the fact that it is just EP. I'm sure the full length will make my list next year.

Foo Fighters: Wasting Light (I know, this should have made the top ten, but it missed out... just barely. I've always loved these guys, and bringing back Pat Smear was a very wise decision. Great songs on this disc. Another home run for the Foo)

Megadeth: Thirteen (I wanted to put this on the list... in fact it almost beat out "Weird Al", but in the end I put this one down here. Don't know why, such a great album. Probably their best in years. Long live Ellefson!)

Queensryche: Dedicated To Chaos (It almost hurt to leave this one off, but in the end it had to be an honorable mention. Another solid release from one of my favorite bands of all time)

Hell Or Highwater: Begin Again (I saw these guys play on the Uproar Lineup and immediately loved them. Such great musicianship and songwriting. This album would be my #11)

Chevelle: Hats Off to the Bull (This was a late album this year and missed the cut for the top ten, but that doesn't mean I don't love this album)

Art of Dying: Vices and Virtues (I feel like if I had put just a few more spins into this album and it could have made my top 10. Great stuff here)

Emphatic: Damage (Great effort for the major label debut from this band. I've seen them, and I've loved them for years. A definite up and comer for me)

Anvil: Juggernaut of Justic (Another album that I had to regretfully leave off the top ten, but such an amazing work of art. I love Anvil, and this album is further reason for that adoration)

Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot III (Anything with Sammy is going to be an instant classic for me, and I would have loved to include this one in the top ten... but it would definitely make the top 15)

Evanescence: Evanescence (I love Amy Lee, so it is obvious that I love this album. Just wish I would have spent a little more time with it)

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Rob, I really like your list of albums, there are some really great album on it. Have you ever thought about doing album reviews by chance? I run a website that works with emerging artists such as Art of Dying and Emphatic. We are looking for people who are passionate about music to write reviews for us. If you are interested please email me at mike@emurg.com

Thanks!

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.