Wednesday, December 21, 2011

In A Flash: Chapter 1

01.

"What in the fuck was that," I thought, "What in the blue fuck just happened?" I struggle to grab some piece of knowledge about what was going on, but I'm drawing a blank. I try to open my eyes but my lids seem to belong to someone else. "What in the fuck is happening here?" A very brief memory comes to me, not a visual memory, but an audible one. As if it is happening from miles away I hear the sound of a truck skidding to halt. I know it is a truck because the sound is far too loud to be a car. It sounds like one of the giant eighteen wheeler jobs. For the life of me I can't seem to remember what had happened.

I try again to open my eyes, but no dice, they seem glued shut. I hesitate to try moving anything else but I know that I have to. Very slowly I raise my right arm, but like my eye lids I don't get so much as an inch. "What in the fuck is going on?" I scream inside my head.

A flash before my eyes and I remember that I was driving, very slowly because of the bitch of a thunderstorm that had started only a few minutes ago. Visibility was shit and I had my car going no more than ten miles an hour. I'm not exactly a great driver, but when the road conditions aren't so good I like to play it safe and slow it down. I've always said that there was nowhere I needed to be that was more important than my life. A memory tries to surface about where I was headed being very important indeed, but I lose it before the damn thing formulates an entire coherent thought.

My head hurts, quite badly in fact. It feels like one of the worst headaches that I have ever had, a real doozy, but the weird part is that it is not pounding like most headache, but like a swimmy sort of unconscious pain. Once again I ask myself what the fuck was going on, and once again I ignore myself. My thoughts aren't a blur so much as they seem to be completely non existent. The driving in the rain thing seems to be the only clear memory that I can dredge up.

I'm starting to feel nauseous, I need to take a moment and try and compose myself. A quick inventory tells me that my eyes are useless, my body won't move, but I can hear something, something very faint, as if from miles away. At first I have no idea what it is, but after a few moments it dawns on me. The sound is approaching sirens.
"Have I been in a wreck?" I ask myself. As if only needing the question an answer comes to me. I have indeed been in a wreck, and a pretty nasty one from what the situation is telling me. But why? Where? When? And the most important question; Am I going to be okay?

No comments: