Monday, May 15, 2006

Cookies Have Stuff that You Don't My Friend

I've decided to make this a rather frequent thing, but instead of it being a list of favorites this shall be a list of random albums that I am particularly fond of, whether in my top albums list or not. And boy howdy do I got a list for you today, five albums that I like enough to bother listing on a post that I'm fairly sure very few, if any, people will ever read. So let's boogie.


Today, the first album is an epic tale of corruption:



Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
I can't say that I have always been a big fan of Queensryche, but after listening to this album several times it all fell into place. A concept album about a hit man for hire, the story follows Nicky who is hired by the evil Dr. X to kill or be killed. The music is incredible, and this album opened quite a few doors for 'ryche.


For our number two, a compilation:



The Beavis and Butt-Head Experience

Until Mike Judge decided to pull the show in favor of the terrible King of the Hill, Beavis and Butt-Head were one of the most popular things on television. The duo stood for all that was right in the world, nachos, tv, and boobs. This album features artists such as Megadeth, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Anthrax, and even a cover of Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe", featuring Beavis and Butt-Head and Cher herself.


And another compilation, just one band this time:

Van Halen - Best Of, Vol. 1


I'm guessing that we won't ever see Vol. 2 of this set, but with the incredible line-up of tunes on the first, I guess that can be forgiven. Amongst the classics on the disc, we are treated to two new Roth tracks ("Me Wise Magic", "Can't Get This Stuff No More"), and a Sammy track not previously available on a Van Halen album (the incredible "Human's Being" from the Twister soundtrack, one of my favorite movies).


How about a classic debut from a supergroupd:

Asia - Asia

I can't say that I care too much for anything else this band churned out, but the debut is the embodiment of the word "classic". With songs like "Heat of the Moment", "Sole Survivor", "Only Time Will Tell", "One Step Closer" and "Here Comes the Feeling" I can find no fault on the entire album. Plus with musicians like Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes, Steve Howe, and John Wetton, how could they do wrong? For the answer, check out the follow up.


One more disc to end this episode, and it's another debut:


Mr. Big - Mr. Big

I saw these guys open up for Rush on the 1990 'Presto' tour, and was lucky enough to get this album the following Christmas. First off, I must mention the incredible "Addicted to that Rush", with a bass line from Billy Sheehan that just smokes. There is also "Blame It On My Youth", "Wind Me Up", the beautiful "Anything for You", and many other excellent tracks. When I got the CD version some years later, I learned that there had not been enough room on the record for "30 Days in the Hole", thank God for CD's... eh?


Well, it's time once again to end this gansta round of pony rides. I hope you got pictures, and at least one piece of cake before the chickens roosted in it's roots. Tune in next time for more words, more pictures, and dammit, more good times.


NP - LANA LANE: Ill Wind (You're Blowin' Me No Good)


No comments: