Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Ate the Real Karma Chameleon

I wasn't going to do this today, don't wanna burn myself out on it, but I'm getting bored. So much to your delight, here is a new list of five albums that I am actually quite fond of, thank you very much.


This first album involves someone stepping out and cheating on his day job.:



Victor - Victor
For the first time in the bands history a member of Rush steps out for a full blown solo album. Although the album is much darker, and at times heavier, than any Rush album, there are several very Rush-like moments, like the single "Promise", "Start Today" and "I Am the Spirit". Guest spots include ex-I Mother Earth vocalist Edwin, Les Claypool, and Dalbello.


And now my little turkey lovers, disc two:



Joe Walsh - Songs for A Dying Planet

I'm not a big Joe Walsh fan, but I love this album. Although it's not technically a concept album, there are moments that tie the tracks together... kind of. The lyrics are well written, and the music is quite original. Worth the price alone is the epic 10 minute track "Decades".


Lets get a "three three" ya'lls:


Ashlee Simpson - I Am Me

I don't listen to a whole lot of pop, but Ashlee Simpson is an incredible exception. When she released her sophomore album I was worried about her ability to follow up her excellent debut, but Ashlee was definitely up to the challenge. There are moments when this album is much better than it's predecessor, like the title track, "Dancing Alone" and "Beautifully Broken". She may not be a great singer live, but with studio magic, Ashlee is phenomenal.



Did hell freeze over?:


Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

When Fleetwood Mac got back together to play a reunion show they dug out some of their best Buckingham/Nicks era material like "Don't Stop", "Everywhere" and "Tusk", as well as some new material, "Bleed to Love Her", "My Little Demon". Of special note is the orchestra who show up on "Go Your Own Way", and the Lindsey Buckingham solo spot.


Time to close out this little charade:



Korn - Korn
Few debut albums go down as being the best album from a band, however in my opinion, KoRn's debut is just that. The music is heavy, the lyrics dark and often insulting, and the album is an absolutely blast to listen to. From "Blind" to "Ball Tongue", "Need To" and my personal favorite "Lies", there is not a throwaway track on the whole disc.



So I've wasted enough time on this for the day, so goodbye.

NW - House, Episode 215: "Clueless"


1 comment:

Unknown said...

what about my favorite headache?

shakira > ashlee simpson

i'm with you on KoRn.