Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Once in a lifetime (okay, more than once, but I like cliches) an album is released that is just too good to let go. Dream Theater released 'Octavarium' a year ago June 7th (that's next month) and I still play this disc nearly every day. Why? Well, I'll tell ya.

The album kicks off with "The Root of All Evil", the 3rd installment of Portnoy's AA saga. The song is in your face and all out crunch. The vocals from Mr. LaBrie are nothing short of phenomenal.

The second tune, "The Answer Lies Within'" is outright beautiful. The music works incredibly with the vocals, and this may be one of the best DT ballads to date.

"These Walls", while my least favorite track on the disc, is still an excellent number.

"I Walk Beside You" is another beautiful tune with very inspiring lyrics, and another great performance from LaBrie.

"Panic Attack" may well be one of the best metal tunes that this band has ever composed. Bassist John Myung is on fire throughout, and the whole band are like musicians possesed.

"Never Enough", despite the controversy the lyrics may have cause among the bands fan base, is just a great tune. Obviously inspired by the band Muse, I can see this one in the bands live set for years to come.

The surprise of the disc comes in the cover of lyrics from LaBrie. The mans lyrics have really come a long way since the beautiful "Anna Lee" (from 'Falling Into Infinity'). Inspired by the events of 9/11/2001, the song is a tearjerker, with not only emotional lyrics, but music as well.

And finally, to throw out another cliche, the band saves the best for last, the title track. It's hard to describe this tune in just a word or phrase, but "eargasm" may come close. Never before has the world had the pleasure to hear such an incredible piece of progressive rock history. I'm telling ya, this one WILL go down in the epic songbook.

I don't know what else I can say about this album that has not been said before. When 'Scenes from a Memory' was released I was sure that DT would never top it. I am very glad that the boys proved me wrong. Now I just have to wait for the Radio City Music Hall album to be released later this year to hear some great DT/Orchestra tunes!

No comments: