Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Dancing On Fire with Cheese

Today the intro is going to be brought to you by the letter: "3" or is it "threeve".

I'm back again today with another list of five albums that I am fond of.





Since I posted Victor yesterday, the demand for this album has flooded in from 1 person:


Geddy Lee - My Favorite Headache
During the longest break in the bands history, Geddy Lee of Rush got together with Ben Mink (FM) and recorded an album so incredible that it was just what the fans needed. There are many similarities between this album and the albums of Rush (the title track, and "Grace to Grace" most notably IMO), but the differences are many. This disc is a must have for Rush fans, without a doubt.


In keeping with my prog obsession, this great album about wheat:


Kansas - Song for America

Released in 1975, Kasnas' 'Song for America' album is probably my favorite. The lead cut isn't prog exactly ("Down the Road"), but that doesn't make it bad. The title-track is easily my favorite song from this band. There are two more epic tracks, "Lamplight Symphony" and "Incomudro"
that make this album an absolute classic.


And for my third trick, an AOR masterpiece:


Head East - Flat as a Pancake
Now don't lie to me, I know you've all heard "Never Been Any Reason", I mean come on, it's a classic. But did you know that 'Pancake' is an LP and not an EP. There is a lot of good music captured in the grooves of this classic masterpiece. Songs like "Ticket Back to Georgia", "One Against the Other" and "Love Me Tonight" are just as good as the big one from this fantastic album.


There is one rap act that I do enjoy:

Kottonmouth Kings - High Society

Generally I wouldn't touch any rap act with a pole of any length, but the Kottonmouth Kings, with their songs about government oppression and the legalization of a certain herb, have always held me in thrall. The music is, as a whole, more inventive than anything else in the genre, the band put on a good show, and this album is just the best of the bands catalogue, although the rest of the discs are nearly as good.


A forgotten gem, or "ignored gem" if you're Jon Anderson:


Yes - Drama
Okay, so whoever decided to throw a few Buggles into the Yes mix was either very crazy, or a genius. My opinion, genius. With Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes Yes created my personal favorite album. Kicking off with the incredible "Machine Messiah" you know the only thing that has really changed is the lineup, the music is as good as anything the band have ever done. Not to be missed are "Into the Lens" and "Tempus Fugit", among others.


And there you have it kiddies. Murder, mayhem, prog, and weed. I hope you enjoyed this episode, and we look forward to seeing you next time on
"Amazing Albums not played by Rabid Rabbits with Radishes". I'm YtseRob, wishing you a happy nappy.


NP - Kansas: Hold On






No comments: